Autor Thema: starting problems S.O.S. !!!  (Gelesen 6818 mal)

Dekiserbia55

• Chevy-Newbie
starting problems S.O.S. !!!
« am: 24. 02. 2016, 09:39:42 »
Hello boys,

last time when I was in Germany I bay brend new manifold , carburator  and air cleaner from Edelbrock for my 265. Everything fit good but there is no chance to make car start . Ignition timing is in place and spark is good.  One time car  started and hat real hard back fire and run for a 15 second and since than won't even start. What is a problem or what I am doing wrong ?

Mikey

• Tri-Chevy Glob.Mod.
  • Tri-Chevy-Restaurator
  • Sting Ray !
Re: starting problems S.O.S. !!!
« Antwort #1 am: 24. 02. 2016, 10:07:20 »
Ignition order mixed up or out of range...that can happen if you place the driven gear of the dist 180 deg wrong. Dimple in gear must be in same direction than contact.

Other than that you may have just placed the dist wrong by 180 deg.

Just doublecheck...

FinDoctor

• Plus-Mitglieder
  • Tri-Chevy-Restaurator
  • Tri-Chevy Parts
    • California Classics
« Antwort #2 am: 24. 02. 2016, 11:52:17 »
Mickey is absolutetly correct with the disrtibutor.....

if the motor doesn´t want to start, there might be different reasons :

to make sure, that nothing else is broken :
1. disconnect the battery!!!!
2. remove all spark plugs and check the compression on all cylinders.....hopefully not valve has been bend or destroyed...if all cylinder have a good and more or less the same compression between 8:1 and 9:1 for newer motor or between 7:1 and 9:1  for an older motor, then proceed. When the spark plugs are wet, then you have too much fuel....
3. To put the distributor in the right position, turn the crankshaft to the mark ( where the chain cover ist, below the waterpump) and check the distributor. The rotor contact should show to the 1. cylinder, which is in the front on the left side ( if you look in the direction from the inside to the front of the car...that´s how we make sure, that we mean the same side)
If not, remove the distributor and put it back in the right position....Attention : sometime you have to adjust the oil pump with a long screwdriver  a bit, so that the distributor can fit in the right position.
4. Remove the valve cover on the left side and check that both valves are closed...if not : turn the crankshaft one more time to the mark and check the rotor contact and the valves again.
5. now the motor should be timed to the stock position.
6. Put back in the spark plugs. Put on the distributor cap. Check whether the spark wires are in the correct order.
7. Connect the battery and try to start again. let ´him crank a few times....
8. If the motor still doesn´t want to start, check the fuel system and carburator...may be your fuel pump is not working right or pumps not enough fuel...you can check that with high octane starthelper in a spray can....if the motor starts and runs for a few seconds, then stops, then you have not enough fuel....
If not and you check one spark plug on each side of the motor and if they are wet...then you have too much fuel....wait until the fuel has dried inside the cylinders.
9. there are two screws in the front of the carburator. carefully turn them in clockwise  until the don´t move anymore. Then carefully turn them counterclockwise for 2 1/2 times. That is the standard position for Edelbrock carburators.
If it still doesn´t want to start you might have bought the wrong set up ( usually to big for the 265cui engine)
10. Good luck

für alle anderen : falls noch jemand andere Ideen für ihn hat....schreibt hier was rein...danke...
es grüßt

FinDoctor
Stefan
http://www.california-classics.de

MarkusM

• Tri-Chevy-Restaurator
« Antwort #3 am: 24. 02. 2016, 11:54:09 »
I had the same problem once, the timing marker on the timing chain cover was wrong. So the timing marks where 8° to early. Remove the valve covers and check the timing marks when cylinder one and six are on TDC. Or pull out Spark plug one and check / feel with a finger or similar thing.

How much cfm has the carb?
« Letzte Änderung: 24. 02. 2016, 11:56:57 von MarkusM »

Knibbo

• Chevy-Newbie
  • Seit 20 Jahren Chevrolet 4 Door Bel Air Fahrer
« Antwort #4 am: 24. 02. 2016, 14:16:27 »
Hy Fans!
Wird Deutsch jetzt als Fremdsprache gehandelt und Englisch zum Standard?????
Bitte nehmt Rücksicht auf unbedarfte nichtenglischkönner !!!!!!!

Sorry,nichts für ungut

Gruß Knibbo

MarkusM

• Tri-Chevy-Restaurator
« Antwort #5 am: 24. 02. 2016, 14:24:12 »
Da der Fragesteller Serbe ist und er in englisch fragt, antworten wir auch in englisch. Ganz einfach oder?

Ardinga

• Tri-Chevy-Restaurator
« Antwort #6 am: 24. 02. 2016, 14:47:57 »
Zdravo Deki,

jeli to istina? Vozis takav auto u srbiji?

Ja ti zivim u njemackoj i imam 55-tu godinu sa 350 motorom. Najprije bi ti preporucio da na razvodnoj kapi promjenis kablove za 180 stupnjeva. Ta grijeska je po mome najvjerovatnija, tako me je i moj prije godinu dana jeb..., dok sam mjenjao citavu kapu pa sam se zajeb... za 180 stupnjeva.

Ajde, pozdrav od hrvata iz njemacke!

@ Knibbo und MarkusM: Ja, auf Englisch! Oder auch auf Serbisch, wer´s kann!

;)  ;D
Ardinga

FinDoctor

• Plus-Mitglieder
  • Tri-Chevy-Restaurator
  • Tri-Chevy Parts
    • California Classics
« Antwort #7 am: 24. 02. 2016, 14:59:48 »
dobre dan Goran,
oder    book!    car cosi nor priatel? 
so und damit hat sich dann auch mein kroatisch......
ach ja....  eide book...

ok ardinga, wenn du so gut in serbisch bist, dann übersetze doch mal meinen Text in serbisch.......   :D

@ Knibbo : hast ja auch recht, aber MarkusM trifft es doch auf den Punkt....
es grüßt

FinDoctor
Stefan

Ardinga

• Tri-Chevy-Restaurator
« Antwort #8 am: 24. 02. 2016, 15:17:25 »
Hey Findoc,

sooo viel Unterschied zwischen Serbisch und Kroatisch is da nich, Deinen Text checkt der Deki schon  ;)

Da ist´s zwischen Bayerisch und Hochdeutsch noch ´ne Nummer krasser!

@ all: And now in English again, please!
Ardinga

Dekiserbia55

• Chevy-Newbie
« Antwort #9 am: 24. 02. 2016, 22:09:14 »
No problem boys you can write on German too I can speak German,just a writing is problem.
I have brouth set up with intake serie 2101 and carb performer serie 500 . On the box sey so from 262" and up.
« Letzte Änderung: 24. 02. 2016, 22:22:14 von Dekiserbia55 »

MarkusM

• Tri-Chevy-Restaurator
« Antwort #10 am: 25. 02. 2016, 12:50:55 »
Your engine is a standard 265cui eingine? I used 500cfm on a mild performace 305cui enigine and standard 327 or 350 cui.
I would use a 390cfm Holley for your engine.
I know that the 500cfm will work if you adjust it right.

If you have the chance to bold the old carb on the new intake, try it.

What was the reason for the change of all these parts? I know it is called bolt on performance, but for a standard engine with standard exhaust, there is not much more performance you can feel.
« Letzte Änderung: 25. 02. 2016, 13:03:21 von MarkusM »

Dekiserbia55

• Chevy-Newbie
« Antwort #11 am: 25. 02. 2016, 20:00:36 »
How you mean to adjust I think this carb is pre-adjusted ?  also old carb will not fit this intake. Old carb is rochester two barel. I do have performance exhaust. In and when this not work I will try to make adapter plate for this intake for old carb because old intake have a crank on a part I can not repare thats the reson I have change the all set up.

MarkusM

• Tri-Chevy-Restaurator
« Antwort #12 am: 26. 02. 2016, 06:49:52 »
Yes it is pre adjusted, but sometimes it needs fine tuning.
But first I would check the timing on the ignition and check again if all wires route the right way to the spark plugs. Maybe turn the distributor a little counterclockwise and see what happens when you start, when it starts ok, if not turn it clockwise and check again. Do it with a second person, one starts the engine and one is turning the distributor.

If the engine starts see how it is running and do the adjustment on the carburetor, take a look in the manual. If you have the 1404 carb start at page 7.

Dekiserbia55

• Chevy-Newbie
« Antwort #13 am: 26. 02. 2016, 19:08:07 »
Still not running . We have check everything. Ignition is in right position,spark is good  on time. I have thinking that may be a problem with Intake manifold just is not right part. I have buy this in FFM Frank&Mikes store and seler was so not right person for this job thats unbeliveble he just a look in catalog and need a help from someone over  all the time.

So can enyone here check from expiriens is this inteke part 2101 from Edelbrock just right for my car ?

P.S. This start to drive me crazy.

MarkusM

• Tri-Chevy-Restaurator
« Antwort #14 am: 26. 02. 2016, 21:23:07 »
The intake is for your engine. Do you have gasoline in the carb? Maybe put a little gas direct in the carb opening.

FinDoctor

• Plus-Mitglieder
  • Tri-Chevy-Restaurator
  • Tri-Chevy Parts
    • California Classics
« Antwort #15 am: 26. 02. 2016, 21:39:49 »
well, the intake manifold fits on all engine sizes from 262 to 350 and is also good for the 265cui engine.....
allthough I have to say, that the smallest V8 engine Chevrolet has ever built ist not the best engine to tune to more power.....
it´s more difficult.....
the reasons are caused in the size and the bore of the engine....
It has been designed for a low cfm, which means smaller carburators......
Your engine came from a small 2 Barrel ( with aprociatmately 235cfm and even the 4bbl had only 365cfm) and was now upgrated to a 500cfm, which is almost double of the original size.....
so many people would say, that one "pumps" a lot of more fuel into an engine, which is actually not able to burn it....
If the fine tuning is not right, one runs into problems.....
So to make sure, that the engine is still ok, I would suggest to go back to the original set up with the 2bbl carb and intake manifold....

anyhow, if you still want to run the bigger carburator :
1. check the spark plugs....if they are wet after you have started, you still have to much fuel running into the manifold
2. usually the carburator is not preset to a certain terrain and temperatur, so not for your special area...so check : does the choke flap is completely closed before you start the engine ( the choke flap is that piece of metal on the top of the rear part of the carburator).
3. Check whether the manual choke is operating right or if you have an electric choke, that the wires are connected right and that the flaps are closed when the engine is cold....
4. Do you have closed ALL little tubes in the front and the big one in the rear with a fitting or a rubber cover?  if your carburator get additional air from there, the engine will never run properly.
5. check the two screws in the front.....turn them in a little bit.....
try again......
and as you can imagine : it is not easy from the distance to tell, what is wrong.....
so good luck then....we all have gone through problems like that...more or less...
« Letzte Änderung: 26. 02. 2016, 21:49:28 von FinDoctor »
es grüßt

FinDoctor
Stefan

Dekiserbia55

• Chevy-Newbie
« Antwort #16 am: 02. 03. 2016, 15:43:05 »
We have try everything but nothing happend, I think that engine geting to much fuel which can not burn and that is a problem. Tonight I will put back old parts and save this new parts for some biger engine or in future try again with this one righ now i have no more nervs for this,. Enyway thenks everyone for help.

Dekiserbia55

• Chevy-Newbie
« Antwort #17 am: 08. 03. 2016, 22:00:27 »
I need a new engine . Anyone have for sale ?

Dekiserbia55

• Chevy-Newbie
« Antwort #18 am: 06. 07. 2016, 19:38:59 »
I solve a problem by puting a new done Corvette C3 engine and 4 speed th 350 and now is ok.

MarkusM

• Tri-Chevy-Restaurator
« Antwort #19 am: 06. 07. 2016, 21:24:15 »
The TH350 is a 3 Speed, TH700 is a 4 Speed. Congrats to the new engine.

Share me

Facebook  Google  Twitter  
Smf